The e-shop is temporarily closed. Please visit later.

Clock tower in Plungė

Posted by Vajas 03/07/2019 0 Comment(s) Welcome to Samogitia!,

Romantic Neo-Gothic style castle was built in the middle of XIX century by Count Zubovas in Plungė. It is the oldest red brick building in Plungė. 

This palace is like a small version of  Palazzo Vecchio in  Florence, Italy.  It has a 12-metre clock tower with a clock in it.  The clock has only one arrow and a bell, which is activated every hour. Duke Mykolas Oginskis purchased it from Platonas Zubovas in 1873. Duke  made a orangery, where exotic plants were flourished. 

In 2012 restoration and reconstarction work was done and Plungė Clock Tower and Plungė district public library moved to the castle. 

Leave a Comment Text